Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Confused Consumer

How do you decide which products to buy when there are so many to choose from? I went to two grocery stores today to take an in-depth look at all the competitor products that are on the shelves. 5 shelves of tortilla products, and I thought, oh my, sensory overload. I began jotting down prices, noticing packaging, and reading ingredients. I was so appalled at the ingredients. There were ingredient lists 3 inches long with stuff that I couldn't even pronounce. What happened to making tortillas with what God created? I am so frustrated that many products marketed to consumers are not what they say. For example, a certain tortilla product said it was whole wheat. It looked nutritious, and the packaging created an appearance of healthy, but the first ingredient was unbleached white flour. These competitor products are making health claims, but that doesn't mean that the product is healthy! What a challenge for the a consumer who is wanting to make healthy choices. Sometimes, reading a nutrition label is like understanding a foreign language you've never heard before. One thing that popped out at me was the marketing of low carb. There is so much carb confusion, that people are being misled to believe that any grain product is "bad" or will cause weight gain. On the contrary, whole grains have many benefits, and carbs are actually are good for you.

My anger was coupled with excitement, because our product is superior to what is currently available. There is nothing on the market like our whole wheat tortilla product. This is an exciting opportunity for us to help the consumer confusion: give them a simple, natural product in an industry where there is little to none.

2 comments:

iamamy said...

I love that this is more than just a product- It's a movement! This is awesome! There is definitely a lot of confusion out there and I think that if more people were informed about health and nutrition, chossing your tortillas would be a no brainer! Keep up the great work!

Created Whole said...

thanks amy for the comment and encouragement!